Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. once said, “Life’s most persistent and urgent question is: ‘What are you doing for others?’ http://www.nationalservice.gov/special-initiatives/days-service/martin-luther-king-jr-day-service-0
The Flint Hills Volunteer Center is honoring the message of Dr. King by hosting a collection drive during the month of January. We are asking the community to help us with this service project by donating to the three projects we have selected.
- Life Choice Ministries http://www.lifechoiceks.org/
- Donate clothing in sizes newborn to 4T. Now is a good time to shop for clearance items!
- Welcome to Fort Riley Cards – an average of 200 soldiers arrive at Fort Riley a month. http://www.riley.army.mil/News/tabid/86/Tag/1693/redcross.aspx. The cards will be donated to the Fort Riley Red Cross, who will then give to the soldiers. Please follow this criteria:
- Ensure that all cards are signed
- Use generic salutations such as “Dear Service Member”
- Only cards are being accepted. Do not send or include letters
- Do not include email or home addresses on the cards
- Do not include inserts of any kind, including photos
- Please refrain from choosing/making cards with glitter or using loose glitter as it can aggravate health issues of ill and/or injured warriors
- Valentine’s Day Cards for Nursing Home Residents in Manhattan and Leonardville. Our Youth Volunteer Corps kids will deliver!
- Donate handmade cards or purchased cards
- Write a short message and/or sign your name
Drop by our office no later than 1:00 pm on January 29th or call us at 785.776.7787 to schedule a time for pickup. There are many opportunities to volunteer for the Martin Luther King Jr. Day of Service. HandsOn K-State will be at the Manhattan Town Center Mall on Monday, January 19th to register volunteers to do a service project beginning at 9:00 am.