Calling all artists and writers! The 2019 Veterans Day Poster & Essay Contest is underway. Each year the Flint Hills Veterans Coalition sponsors a Veterans Day poster and essay contest. The poster is selected from artwork submitted by young artists in third through sixth grade in the Flint Hills region. Essays are selected from those submitted by young writers in seventh through twelfth grades in the region.
Veterans Day Parade begins at 9:30 am, MONDAY, November 11
Poster Contest rules:
- Poster contest open to any elementary school student in grades 3-6 only. Please note: This is not a poster that needs to be done in class and can be done in the privacy of their own home.
- Poster must be 22×28 OR 16×20 in size.
- Posters must reflect patriotism, USA and/or similar designs.
- Official entry form must be taped on the back of the poster.
- Please DO NOT use glitter or chalk on posters!
- A panel of volunteers will judge posters on appearance and creativity.
- Cash Prizes will be awarded to the Top 5 winners in each grade level 3 – 6.
- Winners are asked to arrive at 10:55 inside the Peace Memorial Auditorium (Manhattan City Auditorium), immediately following the parade to receive their cash prize during the indoor ceremony. Winners will be notified in advance and given more details.
Posters must be delivered to Flint Hills Volunteer Center, 2601 Anderson Avenue, Suite 200, Manhattan no later than 4 pm Thursday, October 31st. For more information, call 776-7787.
- Posters will be returned to the teacher by November 7th to deliver to the students. All students are encouraged to carry their poster during the parade route. Winners are asked to bring their poster to the award ceremony.
Middle School & High School Essay Contest:
- Essay must focus on the topic “D-Day and Battle of the Bulge”
- Essay must be at least 250 words
- Essay must be typed using a 12-point font and double-spaced
- Essay must include a cover sheet with the following information: name, grade, school, school phone number and homeroom teacher. Please DO NOT print this information on the essay.
- Essay must be delivered to Flint Hills Volunteer Center, 2601 Anderson Avenue Suite 200, Manhattan, KS 66502, no later than 4 pm Thursday, October 31st. Essay may also be sent via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
THREE WINNERS WILL BE SELECTED FROM MIDDLE SCHOOL AND THREE WINNERS WILL BE SELECTED FROM HIGH SCHOOL to receive a cash award.
- First Place – $150.
- Second Place – $100.
- Third Place – $50
The winners will read his/her essay at the beginning of the awards ceremony inside Peace Memorial Auditorium on Monday, November 12th. All winners are asked to attend to accept their award.