Ongoing Volunteer Opportunities
One of the new initiatives for our Senior Corps RSVP (ages 55 and older) is to help fight opioid abuse. Our first project for this new focus area, will be to participate in the National Drug Take-back day. We will join the Riley County Police Department to give the public the opportunity to prevent pill abuse and theft by ridding their homes of potentially dangerous expired, unused, and unwanted prescription drugs. We are looking for Senior Corps RSVP volunteers to join us this day to distribute the kits. Please let us know if you are interested in helping!
2.3 million veterans and transitioning service members are looking for a meaningful way to live life. A high percentage of them indicate an interest in farming. Therefore, a tremendous opportunity exists.
To bridge the gap, a pathway to farming for our veterans and service members is needed. Service member Agricultural Vocation Education, or S.A.V.E farm, will bridge the gap providing a home-like training center where they can learn to farm and heal as they are brought into the culture of agriculture.
Multiple positions are available, including:
- Front desk work – Volunteers are needed to answer phones, run errands, and filter emails.
- Farming – General farming tasks may include ploughing, planting, irrigation and harvesting.
- Gardening – Garden volunteers will help with caring for the gardens by planting, weeding, harvesting, etc.
- Workshop – Volunteers perform a huge range of tasks but are primarily working to build beehives for sale and placement in the surrounding communities for bee harvesting.
- Store – Volunteers will provide assistance in the shop with sales of honey and beekeeping supplies.
What does it take to be a School of Hope volunteer tutor?
- Be able to provide a commitment to your student for the duration of their school year (Sept.-May)
- Attend required orientation/training
- Be available to tutor twice a week; 30 minute sessions
- Successfully pass a criminal history background check
For more information or to get signed up, contact [email protected].
The Fort Riley American Red Cross office provides coordination of the American Red Cross volunteer programs on the installation, information and referral services including information about the local American Red Cross blood drives, health and safety courses, disaster assistance and emergency communication.
Volunteers needed for:
- Event Support – Facilitate American Red Cross information booths during events for Active Duty Service Members, National Guard/Reserves, Veterans, and their families
- Caseworker follow up – Make follow up phone calls to military families who have received an emergency communication message. (No experience or education needed).
- Reconnection Workshop Facilitator – (Must be licensed mental health professional) Provide workshops for military members, veterans, and their families.
- Animal Visitation Program – Do you have a certified therapy pet and would like to volunteer, or are you interested in having your pet certified and volunteer? The Pet Visitation Program is an American Red Cross program serving the U.S military community. Our animals visit U.S. military hospital patients and staff to promote morale. We are involved in different community activities: welcoming troops home from deployments, attending resiliency training, coordinating with libraries (for kids to read to dogs), working with CDCs and attending many special events.
Contact [email protected] for more information.
Participate in our Cookie Brigade
Gathered twice a month, cookies are provided to uniformed soldiers during their in and out processing at the Soldier Readiness Process Building which could take up to 8 hours for the soldiers. Typically occurs on the 1st and 3rd Thursdays of the month. Contact [email protected] to learn more.
Volunteer delivery drivers help us to provide a complete daily healthy lunch for assessed clients age 60 years and older.
Routes can begin at 10:30 AM – lasts 30-45 minutes
301 N 4th Street
Twelve routes are available daily, providing 7-10 meals per route. Free meal provided on delivery days.